Friday, December 31, 2010

52 Letters in 2011

One of my biggest inspirations for The Gratitude Expedition is Katy Wolk-Stanley at The Non-Consumer Advocate (http://thenonconsumeradvocate.com).  I've been reading her for years and am constantly finding myself inspired to simplify, live more frugally, and "green" up my life.  She issued a letter writing challenge -- one letter per week for 2011.  I think this is a fabulous idea and am jumping in with my trusty fountain pen.

I used to have a pen pal named Maren.  At the time we started corresponding I was a 26 year old newlywed and she a retiree in her late 70s living two states away.  In over a decade of correspondence we went through two births (mine), one miscarriage (also mine), and one lost husband (hers).  We talked about everything from cloth diapering (a must in her day, a voluntary option in mine) to religion (she called herself a "Born Again Pagan") to exercise (she jogged on her mini trampoline daily).  As the years passed our letters became less frequent and, sadly, she passed away a couple years ago, just short of 90.  I treasure every letter she wrote me and she's an inspiration to me still. 

Since my goal this year is to not only stop the over consumption in my life but also to be truly grateful, I intend to make this weekly letter writing a huge component of my plan.  It would force me to look for people to be grateful for and then (gasp!) express my gratitude.  What a concept...

No comments:

Post a Comment